Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 46: Bender!

Today was my 5th WOD in a row....my longest streak yet.  BENDER!

I think the Crossfit Gods were looking over me because today's WOD was focusing on stretches, some pull up work, box jumps, and more stretching.  I kept calling the day a "gift". 

Dennis and I took the day off from work because his sister was having her 2nd child today and we wanted to be at the hospital for moral support.  Even though we had the day off from work, we attended the 6am class. 

Later that evening Dennis and I had a nice romantic dinner in Philly together and it just cracks me up how much of the time we spent talking about Crossfit.  We talked about getting to the prescribed weights, and eventually competing.  We talked about how things will definitely change for me when we start trying to start a family (!!!!) and then Dennis pulled a typical move, he flat out said that he didn't think that I had the right mental attitude to compete. 

Can we just rewind to 2010 for a moment?

Dennis and I were at a friend's birthday dinner and we got on the topic of athletics.  Dennis and I were arguing about Sports vs. Marching Band (of course) and then at the end of one of his famous rants he said, "You are not Athletic or Competitive."  I was shocked!  I had completed multiple running races, two Triathlons, and was a pretty avid gym goer.  So, after a moment of thinking, I decided to give Dennis the ultimate challenge.  I simply said, "Ok Dennis, if you are so confidant that I am not athletic, why don't you put your money where your mouth is?" 

So right there in front of everybody Dennis bet me that I couldn't beat him in the Patriot's Triathlon within 15 minutes.  The Terms:  If I won, he would pay for my flight to Puerto Rico coming up and if he won I would buy him new golf clubs that he wanted....about a $300 wager. 

So after that, I went to what I knew, the 8 Week Triathlon Training schedule and stuck to it.  I trained as hard as I could, sometimes, even going to the gym twice a day.  It was the most nervous I had ever been doing a race, because yes there was a slight chance that Dennis COULD beat me, but I figured if I trained and trained well, I would perform my best and at least have the confidence I needed. 

Dennis was taking a different approach, he wasn't training....at all!  His theory was, that last year he beat me by 15 minutes so he could do that again no problem. 

How did it end?

I am proud to say that I was victorious!  The men start before the women, and I actually caught up to Dennis in the run portion and we crossed the finish line together (with me beating him by a few minutes, no window needed) and Dennis was so proud of me.  He knew and saw how hard I trained and I definitely deserved that win.  (BTW, I had just gotten the doctors approval to workout a few months before the triathlon from a MAJOR health issue). 


So after he said the comment about me competing, I didn't ask him to put his money where his mouth is, I will just know that when I do eventually compete, if ever, it will be all that much sweeter :). 


SKILL:
Dynamic Stretching


WOD:
3-3-3-3-3 Pull Ups
2 minute AMRAP max height box jump -28 @ 20 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment