Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 36: Afraid of Success

Dennis and I are different people in MANY ways and one of biggest differences for sure is planning and structure.  I love planning and structure and Dennis, well, he kinda flys from the seat of his pants. 


Before crossfit I always felt that if I wasn't using a workout plan or program, I wouldn't be successful.  Back in college when I started running I used a 10 week walk/run program, I followed the Slim in 6 program, and when I signed up for my first Triathlon, I used a 8 week Sprint Triathlon Training program.  I needed a piece of paper to tell me what to do, and for the most part, I did it.

Dennis was the complete opposite.  He would simply decide what exercise he wanted to do, and did as much as he could do and that was that.  It was completely up to him the distances, the frequency, and the type of exercise.  Not my style at all and this actually caused multiple fights when we trained together.  I would want to stick with the program and Dennis would want to do his own thing.   

Even though I loved having training programs, there was always one major problem.  I was always afraid to complete the entire program aka afraid of success.  To get even deeper, I was afraid of finishing the training program and not having results that I wanted or expected.  So instead of completing the program, I would quit a week or two before finishing so mentally I could say, "well I didn't finish the whole program, so that's why my Triathlon time wasn't so great." or "well I quit half way through, that's why I'm still fat."

What makes Crossfit work for us?

The reason Crossfit works for Dennis is there is some structure, but not in the traditional sense.  There is no training program per say, but everybody is working towards doing the WODS at RX (prescribed) weight and then exceeding it.  All the work outs are measured in either times or reps.  So even though you aren't directly competing with other people, your times and reps are exposed on a white board for everybody to see.  You can measure up to other gym members and see where your strengths and weakness' are which fulfills Dennis' need for competition.  

The reason Crossfit works for me is that the structure isn't coming from a piece of paper telling me to bike, run, and swim for 8 weeks, it's coming from the daily WOD that everybody has to complete with no exceptions and it's also coming from Mike and Molly.  I'm a compliant person when it comes to authoritative figures, and that is how I view them.  If they say I should add more weight, I may be crying on the inside (and I may cry on the outside later when I get home), but I will add the weight and do my best to lift it.  They aren't there to coddle me and tell me how great of an effort I'm putting in, they are there to push me to my strength limits and they are ultimately there to see me succeed. 

So Mike and Molly, I know I don't thank you enough, but THANK YOU so much for everything you guys do for me.  You are changing me Mentally and Physically and without your help and support I know this would not be possible!



SKILL:
1,000 Meter Row

400 Meter Run
1,000 Meter Row
200 Meter Run
5x10 Back Squats (65lbs)

WOD:
3 Minutes On
30 Seconds Rest
Row for Calories
Hand Release Push Ups
Dead Lifts (85)
10 Meter Run

Total Reps:  126

No comments:

Post a Comment