Tuesday, January 24, 2012

When un-EGG-spected Things Happen

For whatever reason this week so far (yes I know it's only Tuesday) has been very challenging for me not only physically, but mentally as well. 

On Sunday I went for my longest run in 2012 which I blogged about, which was a challenge, and when I was boiling my eggs for the week, I forgot about them and I literally burnt hard boiled eggs.  One even exploded!

whoops!

The next morning I had to drop my husband off at the airport.  He was leaving me for the better half of the week for work.  It was cold, snowy, and I was really sad saying goodbye to him.  I love him and I know that I will miss him.

After work I decided to go to Crossfit instead of running (the weather was super crappy) and mentally I wasn't there.  I did the strength which required lots of math and I keep messing up my calculations.  Before the WOD even started I was irritated and wanted to cry. 

Then I did the WOD.  I was going to wimp out and use a lighter weight, I was already defeated, but as always, Trainer Molly pushed me to add 20lbs to my bar and even though I was slower, I made it through. 
Then something expected but unexpected happened. 

Trainer Molly announced that she was leaving Crossfit610 to go be with her husband at Crossfit King of the Beach on Long Island.  And the kicker: She was leaving this weekend. 

"Insert record scratching sound"

We all knew that this was coming eventually, but nobody really knew when.  When the words finally came out of her mouth, it took all of me to hold back my tears.  I didn't want to make a big thing about it in front of Trainer Molly, because lets face it, it's hard on her too, but ultimately its the right move for her.

I can't imagine living away from my husband as long as she did.

After talking to my friend about it on the phone at the risk of sounding crazy..."I'm so upset my trainer is leaving" I started to realize how, like most things you don't realize what you have until they are gone. 

The level of sadness I felt knowing that Trainer Molly was leaving really got to me.  Do normal people cry when their personal trainers move on or was Molly that much a part of my Crossfit experience?  This is how Dennis must have felt when Mike left, and it plain out sucked.  The term personal trainer kept echoing in my brain.  It was VERY personal.  Trainer Molly knew me from day 1 of my crossfit journey, and over the last 9 months, I've seen her on a consistent basis.  I've probably seen her more than I've seen 80% of my friends.  And as I grew as a Crossfitter and as we got to know each other, she knew when I need to take weight off, or add weight to a bar.  She knew when to tell me to keep moving and most importantly, she had become my friend. 

I suddenly thought back to the show "The Biggest Loser' episode when contestants had been training with specific trainers and then suddenly they had to pick new ones.  They all got emotional about it and were visibly upset and pissed about the change.  I sat there and commented that they shouldn't be so upset about the switch and they should "get over it."  I was wrong and I now get it.

So with all attempts of not being selfish and wanting Molly to stay at 610 forever, I wish you the best of luck at Crossfit King of the Beach and I will be happy for you and Mike finally living like a normal husband/wife. 

The two of you have changed Dennis and I for the better, for life, and we deeply appreciate all that you've done.  We hope that we've made you proud with all our crossfit accomplishments thus far. 

Even though we won't have you in our Crossfit classes, we will take everything you've taught up and continue to improve....and oh yeah, you better come visit us.  I can't say it enough, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!



Monday:

Strength:
1 Back Squat @ 85% every 30 seconds for 6 minutes 135lbs

Shoulder Press AMRAP @ 65%, 75%, 85%, 95% = 20 + 7 + 4 + 2

WOD

4 Rounds:
5 Front Squats (85lbs)
8 Strict Pull Ups (GB)
40 DU

16:17


Tuesday:

Strength
Squat Clean 8 x 1 = 1 RM @ 100lbs (PR!)

WOD

5 minute AMRAP Squat C & J @ 85lbs

10 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Karen! We can't tell you how proud we are of all your accomplishments this far and know the sky is the limit! I will miss everyone at 610 but will be back and can't wait to see all the progress made! I know you are in good hands with Evan! Thanks for all your kind words and for making me cry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I just wanted you to know that what you wrote here, your feelings about Molly and the relationship you have created with her during your own personal transformation is shared by at least one other..... me. I feel like I had a very similar emotional response to the news but after reflecting on it I am really happy for Molly and Mike. So we will trudge on together (our CrossFit 610 family) and we won't forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and sorry about the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn’t have said it better and I feel the same. I am so grateful to have had Mike and Molly in my life and introduce me to the world of crossfit. They will be missed tremendously but I totally understand. I hated it for both of them when mike left – to have to live apart, living separate lives.

    -Kate via email

    ReplyDelete