Monday, November 28, 2011

I'm Fighting Genetics Here!

When I don't look the way I want to look, or see people who I want to look like, I get really upset and sad and then eventually I curse my family genes.  Over Thanksgiving weekend my family takes a picture that will later on be sent out as our Christmas card.  As I look at the picture, I wonder if I really even have a fair chance of being as skinny as I'd like.


The Family (plus Dennis)!
 Lets start with my brother Kevin. 

Where on earth did he get his height?  Clearly he towers over my mom, he is taller than my dad, and has the biggest body frame of us all.  Like myself, he was on the heavier side in middle school and high school.  When he started working he thinned out, but since then put on a few lbs.  This is the heaviest I've seen him in a few years.  

My mom!  Clearly she is shorter and stocky.  As far back as I can remember she struggled with her weight.  Which is probably why I have a complex about my weight.  She was always dieting, but never exercising.  She told me when she got married back when she was 19, she was 140lbs.  This, my friends, gives me hope. 

Mako Bob.  My dad has always been a slender person and I always wondered why I couldn't take after HIM more than my mom.  I got my mom's hair color, my dad's eye color, and I dare to say a combo of their body frames.   

Me.  I'm normal height, and I know how to hide my stomach in a fleece!  Especially when it is an important picture that will get sent out to lots of friends and family that don't seen me often. 

I'm not going to talk about Dennis in this pic since he is not related by blood, only by marriage.  The only impact he has on my weight and frame is typically if he is eating poorly, so I am, but the reverse works as well. 



Thinking back to my childhood, I really wish I knew the importance of eating healthy, exercising, and being aware of my weight.  I feel like I am working so hard to undo 20+ years of being poorly and being lazy, which obviously is overwhelming.  I remember thinking this back in College too.

With that said, I've had a HORRIBLE eating week and I feel like crap about it. 


I HOPE EVERYBODY  HAD A WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING!!


No comments:

Post a Comment