Sunday, May 31, 2015

Week 5 - Baltimore & Annapolis Trail - 25 Miles

Today's bike riding goal was to get at least (if not more than) 25 miles which would be a challenge since today we would have both kids with us, but Dennis and I were up for it and decided to give it a go. 

Last year, Dennis got us lost on the BWI trail and we ended up on another trail and we always wanted to rediscover that mystery trail, which happened to be the Baltimore and Annapolis trail, 13 miles up and 13 miles back.  Perfect for what we were looking for in today's ride.  


So we loaded up our kids and bikes and off we went!  This trail was amazing!  The first 13 miles were cake.  Slight downhill slant, paved, and lots of shade.  The only issue was that I knew the way BACK was going to be the harder part. An hour later, and at the end on the trail we took a pit stop. 


At the end (or beginning) of this trail there was this neat thing where they put a statue of the sun:


And as we biked back, there were markers for all the planets placed by relation of the sun.  It was a cool little nerdy thing to help pass the miles on the grueling way back.  Yup, I was right, the way back was much slower and harder than the way up and if I were to do this trail again, I would reverse our trip to prevent the burn out I was experiencing.  

The other nice thing about the trail, there was a spot with rear facing food places for bikers to stop and enjoy a refreshment.  On our returning trip we stopped and got some amazing Sorbet to cool us off.  



The return trip took us about 2 hours 20 minutes which was only 20 minutes MORE than the 25 mile bike ride we did last week without the kids.  (I know it says 13 miles and 13 miles, but it was more like 12.5 and 12.5).  

This was one of my favorite trails and I eventually hope to do this trail and then connect it to the BWI trail (which we've rode before) for a lengthy 36 mile bike ride.  I'm not sure my legs are up for that, just yet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment