Sunday, May 3, 2015

Week 1 - A Week in Review

Since giving birth to my 2nd child, I told myself I was on a mission to use my maternity leave (12 weeks) to jump start my quest back to fitness and then hopefully continue it upon returning to my full time job.  

This week was a step in the right direction for sure.  

I went to CrossFit 4 days this week (Monday - Thursday) at 6am, and got a Long-ish Bike Ride in on Sunday. 

I REALLY enjoy our family bike rides.  Dennis and I have our 2nd 100 mile bike ride coming up in October and these mini trips are our training for it.  Besides our rides on weekends, we are both doing CrossFit and trying our best to keep each other on track with our eating (which is currently our biggest hurdle). 

Since yesterday was our community Yard Sale and I participate in this even every year, our bike ride would be on Sunday rather than Saturday.  No big deal.  The weather was supposed to be perfect, and I assure you it was. 

We woke up normal time and were headed out an hour earlier than expected, which is always a plus.  Today's ride was going to start at the National Harbor.  I had only been here once before, for our anniversary dinner, and the place is really cool.  Obviously there is water, lots of restaurants, a huge ferris wheel, and cute little shops.  

View From our Table at Lunch
The trail started off not great.  It was a "crushed coral" surface that hugged the harbor.  After about a mile, we were on smooth pavement and immediately battling the uphill that was bringing us up onto the bridge   As we got to the top, I made sure to tell Dennis how much I appreciated that "warm up."  

The Ramp Connecting us to the Bike Path on the Bridge Behind Me

After we completed the Bridge, we had the choice of going towards the Baltimore Airport or Mount Vernon.  I decided to go towards Mount Vernon for not particular reason.  The goal of the day was to get at least 15 miles.  The path was moderately busy with bikers, walkers, and runners, but everybody is super cautious of each other and honestly it was fine.  



The weather was SO nice we decided to let Shane ride with the top down (and shoes off, so we wouldn't lose any), which I think must be somewhat fun for him.  Seth cried a few times during the ride, but as to be expected from a 7 week old baby. 



After the bike ride we had lunch at Redstone American Grill which was nice.  After lunch we walked around the pier a bit to let Shane stretch his legs.  Overall it was a fantastic bike ride and the weather couldn't have been better. 



Miles to Date:  36
Miles this Week: 15
WODs this Week: 4
Eating Grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment