Monday, May 11, 2015

Week 2 - Mother's Day Week

This week provided a larger struggle than normal.  Dennis had to travel a few days for work and I decided to take the opportunity to drive up to Connecticut and introduce Seth to the rest of my family.  Now the fun part began, the planning.

I wanted to make sure I got 3-4 WODs in during the week and I knew I wouldn't be eating as well as I would want while being on the road and visiting family.

I was able to go to my home box Monday - Wednesday and I was planning on doing a drop in at a new box in Norwalk on Thursday, giving me Friday and Saturday off, and then travel day on Sunday.  

I was excited for the drop in at Crossfit Revel because I had never been there before and I love trying out new boxes.  I looked up the work out the night before and I was already unhappy.  It was a benchmark workout, Kelly, which of course includes wall balls. 



The facility was really nice and the trainers and other WODers were supper nice and supportive.  

We started class by going around stating our name, our limits, and if there were to be a reality show about yourself, what it would be called.  

We then did a group warm up, and then went through the WOD.  The trainer had some very specific requests for the work out which I thought was pretty interesting.  The work out was as follows:

Kelly
5 Rounds
400 Meter Run
30 Box Jumps
30 Wall Balls

Trainer explained that no matter what scale you did, you needed to be able to do 10 reps unbroken of that scale.  For example, if you couldn't do 10 box jumps without breaking, scale down to step ups.  Same with wall balls when picking the weight. 

This was a huge goal for me for the wall balls, because usually I can only do 5 reps and then breaking, but my goal was to keep myself at a 10lb ball and do 3 sets of 10 reps each round.  

He also put a 35 minute time cap on the WOD which was a HUGE relief for me.  

3...2..1...go. 

Now I know we've talked about WODs with time caps before, but I've never ranted about the 5 round WOD.  I hate them.  I think Coach Dan had perfectly illustrated the metal state of a 5 round WOD.  



That is pretty dead on way to describe a person doing a 5 round WOD.  I tried to glance at the clock after each round to see if I was going to make the cap, and all I kept thinking was that it was going to be close. 

The good news was I did not stop when it came to the box step ups.  I was already scaling the move so I refused to rest during that set.  30 unbroken every time.  As far as the run, well, the run was up a hill and by round 3 I was over that and had to walk.  And the wall balls, at 10lbs, I made sure to do at least 10 reps before breaking. Sometimes I did more than 10, but never less, and that held true for all 5 rounds, which I think was my biggest win. 

I finshed the WOD at 34:11, with a little less than a minute to spare, I was happy to get my 4th WOD in for the week.  



The rest of the weekend I "reveled" in my life.  

Dennis and I spent Friday day drinking in New York City.  We Bar hopped in Hell's Kitchen which was so much fun!




Miles to Date:  36
Miles this Week: 0
WODs this Week: 4
Eating Grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment