Saturday, May 16, 2015

Week 3 - Part 2 - Five Day Bender

Tomorrow (Sunday) I am 100% not moving.  At all.  

I took over sleeping both Monday and Tuesday REALLY hard and boy am I paying for it now.  

I WODed: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  Which is great because I aim to get 4 WODs in per week.  The problem?  Dennis and I planned a bike ride for Saturday. 

My legs were toast.  I missed my bike ride last week (I was out of state) and I hadn't had a rest day since Monday.  Driving to the trail head I told Dennis I wasn't feeling the ride already, but I knew in order to be prepared for our Century Bike Ride in October, I needed to get my miles in. 

Before we even left the driveway, we ran into an issue:



Some how Dennis ran over an open safety pin and had a flat tire.  The good news was that we caught it before we left for the ride and we were able to fix it in the privacy of our own home.  While Dennis fixed his tire, Shane enjoyed his bike:




Not a huge deal, we were only about a half hour behind our schedule that we had made for ourselves.  We then drove to the trail head and soon we were off!

We were aiming to do 15-17 miles and found a trail that was the perfect distance.  It started on the Mount Vernon Trail, connected to the 4 Mile Run Trail, the W&OD Trail, and finally the Custis trail bringing us back to the start.  

Our first stop was on the Mount Vernon Trail, where we watched the airplanes landing.  It never gets old and is slightly scary:





We had never been on the 4 Mile Trail, and it was pretty nice.  Way less crowded than the Mount Vernon Trail and lots of under passes that seem to amaze Shane.  




The best part about taking this route was that it brought us to the very start of the W&OD Trail which happened to be the part that Dennis and I have never rode before.  



Before we were made the switch from the W&OD trail to the Custis trail we stopped at a playground to let Shane stretch his legs.  I'm going to stick to that story.  It had NOTHING to do with the fact that my legs, thighs, and butt were beyond fatigued and slowly killing me with every pedal I took.  

Go Shane Go!


Soooooooo the Custis Trail will not be repeated by me ever again.  Holy HILLS.  It was constant, they were steep, and I already felt like I was going to die.  I know for sure I walked one of them, and honestly I can not believe I made it up the others.  I know there was cursing involved.  (To the point where Dennis who was well a head of me, turned around concerned and asked me what was wrong).  LOL whoops.  

Finally we were back to the car after a 16 mile ride.  The day was gorgous, I just wished that I felt better physically and mentally.  The lesson learned? I cannot work out at the intesity level that I had been for 5 straight days in a row and expect to perform the way I want to on my bike trailing 40lbs.  

Tomorrow I will not be exercising, and I have high hopes about getting back to my normal Mon - Thurs, bike ride on Saturday routine. 

Miles to Date:  52
Miles this Week: 16
WODs this Week: 4
Eating Grade: B




No comments:

Post a Comment