Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Record Your WODs!

I apologize for the lack of blogging this week, I cannot believe it's Wednesday already! For those of you who crossfit, you know what that makes today:  The day they announce the first WOD of the opens.  SO EXCITING!

Even though I had Monday off, I decided to get up early and go to the 6am WOD to get it out of the way.  I was really glad I did.  I spent the rest of the day cleaning, shopping with a friend, and then relaxing.  Perfect ending to a really fun long weekend.  

Yesterday I had a 5 mile run to do and even though I was reluctant to do so, I did it.  My pace was a bit slower than I would have liked, but honestly I think I was still recovering from Sunday's 8 miler.  I cannot believe my next race is 11 days from today.  Even though my attitude hasn't been it's best, I've been true to the training and I feel quite confident that I will do well.  Half Marathon in April.....well, I'm not going to think about that just yet.  

With after work plans today, I knew that I had to WOD in the morning or no WOD at all.  So 6am it was!  I was even able to convince Dennis to come with!

When I'm able to, and have the time, I like to watch and observe other people from CF610 doing a WOD.  We are getting a FLOOD of new people, and it brings me back to time when I was new.  I see the looks on their faces while WODing and I guarantee I felt the same way and all I want to somehow convince them that even though they are in pain right that second, the accomplishments will soon follow.  

Once piece of advice I wish I took from the beginning.  Record your WODs.  

When I first started CF I hated it, it was outside of my comfort zone and I thought there was zero chance I was going to continue with it.  Until of course I fell in love with it.  When Trainers Mike and Molly told me to start a CF journal to record my Weights & WODs, I blew it off.  Hell, I was just happy I SURVIVED the WODs, why would I need to record them?

Then in 2012, I started doing just that.  And now, two months later, I wish I had started the day I started.  


The reason?  It's REALLY cool to look back at the progress and to see the leaps and bounds you WILL eventually make.  Once I started my running training, I recorded EVERY run, starting with my 2.50 mile run at a 12 minute pace.  Now, towards the bottom, I'm rarely over a 10 minute pace.  

I can quickly see what my 1RM is for any given movement, and that will help me prepare for the day's strength or WOD.  And the most amusing statistic of all is the Benchmark WODs.  Nothing is more empowering to see you crushing your last performance after a month or so, and having documentation of it as well!  

So if you are new, and reading this, if you only learn one thing from me, PLEASE let it be to record your WODS!  Always, Always, Always!!!





Monday:

Strength
20 minutes to fix 1RM of Low Back Squat
135lbs

WOD
10 Minute AMRAP
5 Wall Climbs 
10 Box Jumps
5 Pull Ups (thin purple) 
3+3

Cash Out
5 minute row for Cals = 71


Tuesday:

5 Mile Run


Wednesday:

Strength:
1 Mile Run for Time = 8:47 (dennis calculated it was actually 1.1 miles)

WOD:
5 Minute AMRAP
Burpee Pull Ups
3 Minute AMRAP
Ring Dips (thin purple band)
1 Minute AMRAP
Air Squats

Total Rep Count 112

No comments:

Post a Comment