Monday, March 25, 2013

Crossfit Games 2013 WOD 13.3

What's in a Name?
 
In Greek, the name Karen means- pure. 
 
In Crossfit, the name Karen means - pure hell. 
 
 
ok nobody's hais looks that good doing Karen!
 
As long as I can remember, I would avoid this WOD like no other.  I hate the workout out (150 wall balls for time) and I hated even more that it shares my name. 
 
So last year, when the 12.4 Open WOD was announced, you could just imagine my lack of joy.  At the time I was secretly pregnant (only me, Dennis, and Trainer Evan knew it at the time) but from what I'm reading in my blog, I was in really good shape:
 
"I started off really well, I was breaking the wall balls into sets first 15s, another 15, then 10s and then 5s until I FINALLY got to 150. With only seconds left I got 1 double under and I was done."  Full Post Here
 
When Wednesday rolled around and 13.3 was announced, I was pretty much infuriated.  It was the same WOD:
 
12 Minute AMRAP
150 Wall Balls (14lbs, 9ft Target) a.k.a Karen
90 Double Unders
30 Muscle Ups
 
I seriously never ever ever ever ever wanted to do this WOD again ever in my life.  But now I had to, and I knew that I wasn't going to be able to measure up to my past self.  in 2012 I got 150 Wall Balls and 1 double under. 
 
I typically do the WODs on Thursday morning, giving me time to decided if I am going to redo, but I knew I was only going to do this one once, because I hated it so much.  I had the opportunity to do it on Friday night, but I chickened out. 
 
Before I knew it, it was Sunday and I had no choice but to buck up an get it over with.  I was not happy.  I was so unhappy, multiple people took notice of my demeanor in the box, and when Dennis set the clock to 12 minutes I started to cry. 
 
I hate when I cry at Crossfit.
 
3..2......1...GO
 
I started off with sets of 10, resting without dropping the ball, getting a few rounds of that.  Then, continued with sets of 5, or less as needed.  As the clock ticked on, I got slower and braked longer, and then it was done.
 
I got 120 reps total, which was a huge disappointment but what did I expect?
 
Did I expect to go into the WOD with the complete wrong attitude and do well?  Nope, I accepted failure before I even started. 
 
It's not like I did 120 reps and walked away laughing.  I was winded, I was tired, and I was upset, and of course there were more tears. 
 
There is nothing more frustrating remembering Karen past and doing worse than her.  I'm supposed to be getting stronger, faster, and leaner than her.  Not slower, weaker, and fatter!  Knowing what I was capable of doing and not performing that way now is simply the worst. 
 
Things that I've learned:
 
I need to work on Wall Balls.  They are prob my least favorite Crossfit move.  Which means I don't practice them, and in turn means I'll never get better at them. 
 
Reading my blog from a year ago is a lot of fun!  Even if it makes me feel like crap sometimes. 
 
Crossfit support systems are great.  Everybody told me I did a great job and patted me on the back for doing the work out, even if I was greatly disappointed. 
 
Threatening your husband about "no repping" you works...hahaha just kidding :).  I got no repped about 5 times which really hurts, but it makes you really try hard to make every rep count.  During the WOD I had multiple people come over to remind me to watch my dept, and a coach even gave me advice mid WOD to widen my stance (a constant problem of mine) to increase depth.  I appreciated all of the kind words!! 
 
I should have done the WOD Thursday and then again Sunday.  I shouldn't be so afraid of this WOD.  It's Karen, I should own this WOD.
 
 
13.3 Final Score 120


No comments:

Post a Comment