Thursday, March 7, 2013

Crossfit Games 2013 WOD 13.1

Following suit from last year, I did the first Crossfit Games WOD at 6am this morning.  But MOST of the fun of the games happens the night before when they release the WOD, especially with all the social media.

The Crossfit Games' WODs are released on Wednesday Nights at 8pm followed by facebook status, comments, likes, tweets, and texts. 

We haven't heard from Reformed Fatty in months and last night he was updating his facebook status just about every minute. 

I was retweeted and starting having multiple twitter conversations about the WOD, notifications on Facebook were ramped and all while my phone was blowing up with Texts.

The REALLY cool thing is most of the conversations were about our thoughts and strategies about the WOD and how we all supported each other.  What a fantastic community to be a part of! 

After coming down from my social media high I digested the WOD and made a prediction. 

 
 

So this morning at 5am I was awake and did my Zombie walk through the house to get ready for Crossfit and then work.  

There was a really cool feeling in the box this morning, the excitment, the antisipation and of course the nervousness.  I was curious how many people would be at the 6am to do the WOD and it ended up being a crowd of 7, which was smaller than usual, but the energy level from everybody was anything but. 

We partnered up, me with the only other girl (Brandi), and decided that there would be 2 heats and I took the lead and went first.  When Trainer Brad told us there was 10 seconds until go time, I started to FINALLY get my Work Out Anxiety, but at that point it was too late to really let it take over me. 

3........2.........1........GO!!

The first part of the WOD was 40 Burpees with a Target.  Nothing really too much to talk about here, besides the fact that 40 Burpees is enough to make you feel tired and fatigued for the snatches.  Only strategy is to keep moving. 

The second part of the WOD was 30 Snatches at 45lbs.  Knowing that for me a 45lb Snatch is a "ligher" weight, I had to get my reps in as fast as I could.  I admit I was hoping to do 3 sets of 10, but with all those burpees, I needed a bit more recovery time (to catch my breath) so I believe I broke them up as needed. 

The third part of the WOD was 30 Burpees, and by the way, I am enternally grateful for the reduction of reps.  By this round I was quite winded but I knew that I wanted to spend as MUCH time as possible attempting the next section so I had to rest as little as possible and just get them done.  It's nice knowing after 15, you are half way done, and again, I tried to rest as little as possible. 

The fourth part of the WOD was 30 Snatches at 75lbs.  As stated the night  before, this was going to be where I was going to start to fail.  I had done a Snatch WOD days ago and I was only able to get a few reps after multiple failed attempts.  I wanted to spend at least 7 minutes trying.  And then something magical happend. 

I Snatched 75lbs.  It wasn't easy, it was probably ugly, but I got my first attempt.  I dropped, recovered, and reset.  Boom.  Got another rep.  At this point, I was floored.  How was I doing this?  After each rep I made sure to take a few breaths, set up, and attempt.  And holy freacking cow, I got 12 reps in the time that I had left.  I cannot express to you the sense of empowerment I was feeling. 

I was legit counting on getting 5ish reps with at least double that in failed attempts.  I got 12, and no failed attempts.  Go Me!!

and just like that, I was done with my first 2013 Crossfit Games WOD. 


Here are some helpful tips / insights I had before, during, or after the WOD:

Helpful Tip #1  Have a conversation with the person judging you.  Brandi and I talked about how we each wanted the judge to verbally confirm reps on the 10s and to alert the competitor when they had 5 reps left.  We also talked about pushing each other, and I think we both did a wonderful job doing so. 

Helpful Tip #2  Set up your white board BEFORE the WOD.  I found the set up we used was really good.  40 Burpees, 30 Snatches (45lbs) and then a space to put the time that round is completed.  I left space at the end for tick marks to assure acurate judging. 

Helpful Tip #3  Get used to doing a Burpee with a target.  It seems like no big deal, until you start and it's slightly awkward trying to touch the target.  Do a few practice ones to get yourself situated under the ring, bar, or plate.  It took me well over 5 burpees to find the "sweet spot" on the landing.  Once I did, my Burpees were more quick and efficient.  I put chalk hand prints on the matt directly under the target so when I dropped down, I could see where I was in relation to the target at all times.  (I had learned that from Last Year's WOD).  

Helpful Tip #4  After the 2nd set of Burpees, use the time of adding weight to the bar as rest time.  You are going to be winded, take your time loading the bar, but then dont waste any time resting once the bar is set. 

Helpful Tip #5  If and when the Snatch feels heavy, try doing a split Snatch.  When Trainer Brad saw how much effort it was taking me to get up the 75lbs, he simply told me to split my legs and it was a HUGE difference.  Which is almost making me want to try it again doing the Split Snatch the whole time. 

Helpful Tip #6  Don't sell yourself short.  I was amazing that I got as many 75lbs as I did and Brandi was unsure about 75lbs, but she had 3ish minutes to attemp them.  And she tried her damn hardest until the time expired.  PUSH YOURSELF!

Helpful Tip #7  Hug your Trainer.  There is nothing more rewarding than feeling the way I felt after this work out, and I owe it all to the hard work and training that they have devoted to me.  And yes, I gave Brad a big sweaty hug this morning :). 


I wish everybody the best of luck with this week's WOD and I cannot wait to see how awesome everybody does! 

Crossfit Games 2013 WOD 13.1

17 Minute AMRAP

40 Burpees (Target)
30 Snatches 45lbs
30 Burpees (Target)
30 Snatches 75lbs
20 Burpees (Target)
30 Snatches (100lbs)
10 Burpees
Max Rep Snatch 120lbs

Score:  112

No comments:

Post a Comment