Thursday, March 14, 2013

Crossfit Games 2013 WOD 13.2

My 13.1 Final Standing


As we all huddled in the office of South Mountain Crossfit waiting for the the 13.2 to be announced, my one only hope was that I would be able to perform the WOD RX'ed.  And my prayers were answered.

13.2

10 Minute AMRAP

5 Shoulder to Overheads (75lbs)
10 Dead Lifts (75lbs)
15 Box Jumps (20inch)

My mind immediately went to Crossfit Games 12.3 which (as I read back) felt like I did pretty crappy on.  Which scares me because I was in much better shape back then.  But as always I was ready for the challenge. 

I didn't oversleep this morning which was awesome and was present and accounted for at the 6am.  My Crossfit Games Buddy Brandi was there and I was happy to see that her and I were going to be working together on this WOD.  She really pushes me and apparently I do the same for her.

As we started going through the standards, I started to get worked up about the 75lb Push Presses.  To me, this is a heavy Push Press.  I kept thinking about how hard it was for me to Snatch that weight, and I was hoping that I wouldn't have to "fight" for every rep.  Before my WOD anxiety could completely take over me, I was watching the clock count down....3...2..1...GO. 

How can 10 Minutes seem so short and long at the same time?

My goal going into it was 5 rounds. 2 Minute per Round and anything else would be Icing.  I felt GREAT for the first 3 rounds, keeping myself in the 2 minute per round pace and then things kinda fell apart from there.  As promised, here are my helpful tips:

Tip #1:  Do no drop the bar in between reps for the Shoulder to Overheads.  If you have to rest, rest with the bar on your chest/shoulders.  If you drop the bar, it's a lot of extra work to get it back to your shoulders.  I did that once during my later rounds and it really  made a difference in a bad way. 

Tip #2:  The Dead lift is a light weight, don't blow your load during them, but under no circumstances should you break up the reps.  It's only 10.  And it's light.  Push through. 

Tip #3:  Really think about the box jumps.  I went into it thinking I was going to Jump all my reps.  Until the 3rd round and needed to do the step up technique.  I think this is why I'm most upset about my score.  If I had done the step up / step down technique (among other things) I'm fairly certain my score would be higher by a few reps. 

Tip #4:  Get back on that bar after the Box Jumps.  If you start resting you will waste valuable time.  Rest during the dead lifts (and by that I mean "rest" while doing your deadlifts).  Keep moving, keep moving, keep moving. 

Tip #5:  Don't under estimate your goal.  I HATE to say it, but this blog is where I am completely honest, I think when I got to 5 Rounds, I was like yay now i can just dick around.  Had I set a goal of 6 rounds, I may have moved a tiny bit faster and you bet I was jealous when Brandi beat me by 7 reps!  I assure you I am happy for her because she fought for every one of those Shoulders to Overheads, but I was disappointed in myself for not doing better and/or not striving for 6 rounds.  I believe that 1:30 - 1:45 per round would have been a challenging yet obtainable goal for me, which I simply under estimated. 

Tip #5:  Don't over estimate your goal.  I knew that I needed some type of goal to keep my pace (I honestly think this was a pace WOD rather than strength) and if I had set something like 10 rounds, I would 100% blow my load right in the beginning and be toast for the rest of it. 


Overall it was a good WOD, and I wish everybody the best of luck on it!


10 Minute AMRAP

5 Shoulder to Overheads (75lbs)
10 Dead Lifts (75lbs)
15 Box Jumps (20inch)

Score:  161  (5+11)

No comments:

Post a Comment