Monday, March 11, 2013

Crossfit Games 2013 WOD 13.1 - Second Attempt

With 13.1 in the books at 7am on Thursday morning I had little or no interest in doing the WOD again until a fire got lit under my ass on Friday. 

A fellow Crossfitter used my advise that I had freely dispensed and well, did better than me, and then proceeded me to a friendly challenge. 

So after a good 5 minutes of debate, I accepted the challenge!  (super friendly of course)

Due to Dennis and I's rather busy schedule, Dennis had to do the WOD on Sunday and if time permitted I would do my 2nd attempt.  Something I've never done before. 

I remember last year going to Crossfit King of the Beach and watching former Trainer Mike redo 12.5 and getting LESS reps the 2nd time and thinking how horrible that must feel.  Not something I was (in 2012) ready to gamble.

But with my pride on the line and really nothing to lose, I decided that I would at least try to tie my challenger to level the playing field from here on out. 

So I patiently watched as Johnny, Dennis, Brad, and a few other Crossfitters went through the grueling 17 minutes of pain and as the time went on, I was slowly loosing my nerve to do it again. 

3....2.......1.....GO!

After the 5th Burpee, I had a though.  "Why the HELL am I doing this again?"

I very much tried to keep myself paced at 10 Burpees per minute and I knew that if I didn't beat my first round time from Thursday, it would make or break the redo for me. 

I finished the first set of Burpees and Snatches in 5:57, almost a FULL minute quicker than lats time.

Back to Burpees and I was looking at the 75lb bar with 10 minutes to work, a HUGE improvement from Thursday. 

And then, one at a time, I chipped away at the snatches.  Trying to get at least 2 per minute, and resting when I needed. 


Towards the end I did fail an attempt, which was a sign to me that I was pushing myself and getting to my limit.  When my time expired, I was completely winded but extremely proud of my 12 rep improvement making my final score 124. 

The celebration from my co-Crossfitters was awesome.  Courtney, my judge pushed me at just the right level though out the work out.  Kim and Dennis on the side lines cheering me on and putting every ounce of faith in me that I could do it was great.

And the best quote of the entire day was from Dennis, "and this is why I love the opens." 

As I reflected on my performance, I still couldn't put my finger on why I did so much better the 2nd time around.

Was is because it was mid day on a Sunday vs early morning on Thursday?

Was is because I had done Snatch work Monday, Thursday, and then again on Sunday....did I literally get stronger over the week?

Was is because I felt more pressure to beat Kristin? 

WHY, WHY, WHY?!?!

In any case, I think for the rest of the Open I will do the WOD Thursday morning, reflect on the WOD and then do it again on Sundays. 

What are your thoughts on doing each WOD twice?


13.1 Final Score:  124

No comments:

Post a Comment