Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Crossfit Games 2013 WOD 13.2 - Second Attempt

After doing 13.2 the first time and then seeing fellow South Mountain Crossfitter's scores, I knew that I wanted to do it again on Sunday.  And....

oops!.....I did it Again.
.....well yes, I did it again.  With positive results.  Thankfully. 


Learning from Thursday, I knew what to do and what not to do.

1. Don't Drop the Bar during the Shoulders to Over Head.

2. Don't Jump, Step up

3. Rest minimally

4. Get more than 5+11 Rounds!!


And I swear to god, after the 3..2..1..Clock went off, I thought to myself, why the heck am I doing this again? 

After that thought passed, I kept focus on what I knew I had to do.  Luckily Lynn was doing the WOD at the same time as me and I had her in my sight.  She was way faster than me on the Shoulders to Overhead, but I used her to pace me on the other movements.  When we overlapped on the box steps, I kept her rhythm, and that for sure kept me at a higher pace.

I again, had an awesome judge.  I let her know to alert me on the 5's so I knew where I was and when I was on my 5th round, I think she was more excited about it than I was.  She didn't let me rest too long and encouraged me the entire time. 

After the longest & shortest 10 minutes of my life (again) I was on the ground sucking air and high fiving my judge.  I improved my score from 161 reps to 199. 

I really really really really wish I got 200.  But then I'd wish I had gotten 201 and so on and so forth, so regardless of me not getting a nice round number, I have to be happy with my 38 rep improvement, right?

Reformed Fatty and I have had many conversations about redoing the Open WODs and I think the mutual consensus was that we would only redo them if they continue to be these shorter WODs that have potential of improvement. 

But again, it is all very situational.

Later that evening I got a text from a former 610er telling me how she had a disappointing experience with her 13.2 redo.  She, like so many other competitors, put too much pressure on herself and literally had a mental break down around minute 4 of the WOD. 

Her coach was able to get her back in the right state of mind to finish out the WOD, and she finished with only 10 less than her 1st attempt.  Think about that for a second. 

I told her that I was sad to hear that she didn't improve her score, but we all have moments of anxiety before a WOD and it's not what defines you as a crossfitter.  What defines you is how you react and respond to those types of situations.   

She could have just walked away, but she didn't and thats the reason why I'm so proud of her, regardless of her score. 

She's never walked away from a WOD, never has, and she never will! 


Congrats to all that survived 13.2!


13.2

10 Minute AMRAP

5 Shoulder to Overheads (75lbs)
10 Dead Lifts (75lbs)
15 Box Jumps (20inch)


Final Score:  199 Reps

No comments:

Post a Comment