Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Stepping Out of my Crossfit Box

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been taking "fitness" classes at another gym.  Don't get too worried folks, it was a 5 class groupon to a company that is run out of the Lehigh Valley Sports Academy called Sweat Like a Girl.  They teach nontraditional fitness classes like, Pole Dancing, Chairfit, Piloxing, and Yogalicious. 

Before I get into any of this, I'd like to make a few points.  I, in no way, consider myself a girlie girl but I am not a tom boy either.  I'd like say that I'm right smack in the middle of these labels.  I can be girlie if I wanted to (2011 was the year I finally tried make up!) but I'm not afraid to get gross and sweaty (I've done a couple triathlons and jumped out of a plane). 

After 9 months of Crossfiting in what I would consider a "Tom Boy Gym" (blaring heavy metal music, the cold dark colors of metal, no frill decorations, and bloody, sweaty man tanks walking around), I was curious how it would be going to this different type of gym.

The classroom looks like Barbie's dream house on crack.  So.Much.Pink. 

EVERYTHING was pink, and there were balloons, and boas, a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge mirror on the wall, and six strategically placed poles in the room.  It was almost too much to handle.  But being an open person, I kept an open mind.  I did the same for crossfit when I first started and I still remember thinking that Trainer Mike and Molly looked scary and the equipment looked so cold and uninviting. 

Then class starts.  The teacher keeps yelling out words like, fabulous, gorgeous, shake your bootie, and swing those hips.  And then she kept making cooter jokes.  (which I guess would be equivalent to our Snatch jokes).  But good lord was this overwhelming!

I went from "Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable"



To "Absolutely Fabulous"




I must admit that I got a decent Cardio workout in the different types of classes that I tried, but nothing like Crossfit.  Even though the classes were fun and slightly aerobic, they will not be my main source of fitness, and I now have a whole new physical respect for strippers!

It's fun to try new things and keep an open mind, sometimes you hit big (Crossfit) and sometimes you just have something to laugh about with your friends.  


Monday:

Lower Back Squats 7 x 3

3 Pull Ups & AMRAP Cleans @ 65lbs on the minute for 10 minutes

Lowest Score = 4 

No comments:

Post a Comment