Thursday, March 8, 2012

Box Jump Burpees = Busted Shin

I cannot believe I've been Crossfitting for almost a year now!  March is my 11th month, and I can't imagine life without it.  With that said, yesterday I hit a milestone.  I finally missed a box jump and busted my shin. 

The fear of the box jump is something that I've heard about many times.  I've heard horror stories of people missing the box, busting their shins and having to get stitches.  It would happen pretty often, but never to me, and I've seen some nasty falls! 

Well yesterday that all changed.

The WOD was a 5 minute AMRAP of 5 burpee box jumps and 10 sit ups.  Now burpee box jumps is a rarer form of box jumps, but I was familiar with both the moves, all I had to do was combined them.  I would drop down to push up and when I came up, instead of jumping with an overhead clap, I would jump onto a box. 

No problem.

The 2nd, I kid you not, the 2nd burpee box jump, my right leg didn't make it up and boom, right into the corner of the box.  No pain right away, so I figured I was ok, and then it started to throb.  I was wearing long pants so I couldn't see if I had really done any damage, so I decided to pause and see what it looked like. 

1 Day After

Basically it was already bruising, some ripped skin and a tiny bit of blood.  The main concern was figuring out if it was deep enough, but compared to other wounds that I've seen, this was just a scratch. 

I finished the WOD and only suffered slight throbbing for the rest of the night.  I know that when some people stumble on Box Jumps, they have a hard time doing them again knowing what damage they can do, but I'll have no problem getting back on the box.  I'm just surprised it took this long for me to get bit by the box. 


Tuesday:

4 mile run

Wednesday:

Strength
3 Rep Max Dead lift = 170lbs

WOD
5 Minutes AMRAP
5 Burpee Box Jumps
10 Air Mat Sit Ups

5 minute rest

Repeat

Round 1: 4+13
Round 2: 5 + 1

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Same thing just happened to me :( jumped into my 20 inch box and missed. My shin hurts so much and its pretty swollen. How long sis it take for you to get back to your box??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please email me at amele010@fiu.edu
    My name is andrea btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea,

    Sorry I'm just seeing this now for some reason. Luckily it wasn't too bad and I was back at it the next day.

    How about you?

    ReplyDelete