Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Beach and Biking

I apologize for the lack in blogging, life tends to get away from me, but know that I do feel guilt!!

This past weekend Dennis and I decided we wanted to take Shane to Ocean City NJ where Dennis went on his very first boardwalk ride, the ladybug.  I was in agreement to such weekend activity as long as we were able to fit in some type of exercise in.  



I did some extensive research (as per normal when we travel) on which Crossfit Boxes we could visit but unfortunately no class times / locations matched up with our weekend plan, so we decided we'd bike around Philly as our exercise.

The beach was a good time.  The weather wasn't perfect, but I personally like overcast beach days over blaring hot sun.  The water was a bit cold, so swimming was very limited but Dennis and I took a nice 30 minute kid free walk down the beach together.  (our friends were watching Shane while we walked).  So even though we didn't get a Crossfit work out in, we still did something.  Shane enjoyed the sand very much!!




After the beach we walked the boardwalk where Shane went on his first rides!  Unfortunately for Dennis, the ladybug ride no longer existed and we had to settle for the boat, fire truck, and buggy cars:




The next day, we drove into Philly and promptly found a parking spot and set up our bikes and trailer.  The weather was perfect!  Much better than the day before and I was happy that we were going to be spending some of it on our bikes. 

Dennis and I had biked TO Philly once before (that was my previous longest bike ride) so we had an idea of where we were going.

Our bike started at the Rocky Steps and we took the Schuylkill River path until we got to a bridge that took us over the river and back to the steps.

It was, in retrospect, a really cool trip down memory lane for us.  We remembered our bike ride to Philly (one the I mentioned before) from Valley Forge park, about a 44 mile total trip by bike.  Then we remembered Dennis and Kyle's Philly Triathlon that they did on a section that we biked on, and then finally at the end of our bike was where I had finished my 1st Half Marathon.  

We had both also ran the Broad Street Run in Philly, and the Rothman 8k in Philly as well.  

Remembering all those specific events was really fun and I can only hope that Shane, when he gets older, will take interest in doing events like those.  

Until then, Dennis and I will continue to cart him around in this trailer like a boss.  




No comments:

Post a Comment