Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Courtney and Kyle's Wedding Day 5K

With the Royalty drop in and Rehearsal Dinner done, that left the main event, Kyle and Courtney's wedding!  And in true fashion, the first thing on the agenda was, to run a 5k.  Yup, you heard me right.  This bride-to-be wanted to get her run on hours BEFORE she said I do.  (Courtney is ad avid runner so this was not really a HUGE surprise to anybody).  

Since Dennis and I are pretty active people and most of all good sports, we 100% felt required to participate and showed up to the start line alone with about 35 other people.  I had to laugh because there were some serious runners down to the groom's brother wearing basketball shoes.  The whole event was pretty cute, the start line was at the Starbucks that they went on their first date at and the finish line was at the church they were to be wed later that day.  

With Courtney being, well Courtney, she was bouncing around handing out Wedding Day 5k shirts:


 and once everybody was present, we sand the national anthem:




Dennis and I had talked a LITTLE about strategy.  Me saying "that I didn't really care and if I made it to the end it would be a win" and Dennis saying "I want to PR this run!" we were clearly on different pages.  Then right at the last minute Dennis goes, "let's run this together."  Awesome.

Now my natural pace is slow and I left it up to Dennis to either stay with me or not.  I could tell that he was really fighting back to just run ahead of me but he decided to slow down his pace and chat it up.  Which is probably the most annoying thing in the world for me when running.  

I did get a good laugh at the woman that ran about 400 meters, stopped and announced that "Yeah, I'm done running" followed by the girl in front of us that b lined it into the Philly Pretzel factory store after about 10 minutes of running.  Now obviously this was a "fun run" but really people?

The roads were not closed and to my delight we were crossing a railroad that just so happened to have a train going through, all I could say in my mind was safety first, I must stop and let the train pass (and get a good couple minutes rest while I was at it) but noooooooooooooooo daredevil Dennis dashed in front of the train and I stupidly followed.  Side note: the train was literally moving at 1mph.  

As much as I was annoyed at Dennis during the run, he didn't let me walk, he tried to catch me when I tripped and almost fell, and he was super proud of me when we crossed the finish line with a time of about 29 minutes.  One of my better 5k times.  

Besides some very light running at Crossfit, I haven't done much of any running before this, so the fact that I did what I did made me happy.

The run was a success even though the bride to be was a little upset she finished 3rd (seriously who didn't let her win?) the rest of the day went on without a hitch. 

After the 5k, we relaxed, played mini golf, and then watched two of our friends get married.





Congratulations you two, enjoy the honeymoon!!

1 comment:

  1. This is very useful information on the wedding. I am in search of excellent wedding venues in the city and searched online. Came across few lovely venues and looking forward to book the right venue. Hope to have an amazing party.

    ReplyDelete