Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day


Memorial Day is a federal holiday observed annually in the United States on the last Monday of May.[1] Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.[2] Formerly known as Decoration Day, it originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died in all wars. It typically marks the start of the summer vacation season, while Labor Day marks its end.
Many people visit cemeteries and memorials, particularly to honor those who have died in military service. Many volunteers place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries.



Crossfit has a really cool way of honoring those who have died in military service.  They have a series of WODS named specifically after fallen soldiers.  One of the most infamous Hero WODS is "Murph."  I dodged doing this WOD last year and I wasn't so lucky.  
Only a few days ago, I agreed to do Murph later this week with a partner at a neighboring Crossfit.  And I was a little scared even splitting it.  
I wasn't sure if 610 would be opening on Monday and when I checked the website, my mouth dropped open.  We were doing Murph.  The rest of the evening and this morning, I kept thinking, I'll go, do my best and if it takes me 3 hours, well, I tried my best.  

We all spent a few minutes trying to strategize how we were going to attack the WOD (splitting up the sets), and then we were told that we were going to do it as is:

1 Mile Run
100 Pull Ups
200 Push Ups
300 Air Squats
1 Mile Run

The WOD was brutal, especially with the heat.  But we all cheered each other on, pushed each other, and celebrated when people finished.  It was awesome.  The WOD brought me to tears (during the squats) but I kept going and I tried to remember why we were doing it.  

We had a little cookout after and it was awesome to hang out with people for a bit after a workout.  I hope everybody had an equally awesome Memorial Day and I am hoping I will be able to walk tomorrow!

Final Time : 97:18 (Longest WOD EVER)

No comments:

Post a Comment