Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day 2014 - 40 Mile Bike Ride

Dennis and I had been itching to do a longer bike ride for weeks now and Memorial day was providing us the opportunity.  So once again, we woke up earlier than we would have liked, and prepared for the ride. 





We technically started at the END of the trail, but, our plan was to start in Purcellville and bike to Arlington, a total of 50 miles.  We staged my car down right before Arlington and drove up to Purcellville to start our journey.  

We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day!  

I started the ride towing Shane, as I know that the 2nd half of the ride would be my most challenging so I prefer to take Shane first.  We switching towing him at about mile 15, which was a little disappointing (less than half) but I was struggling already.  


As you can see from this nifty picture, we biked for 40 miles and took us just under 3.5 hours.   You can also see my heart rate in the small box at the bottom right corner.  

We decided to stop at 40 miles because both of our backs started to hurt and it was way hotter than we anticipated and of course we had to keep the health, comfort, and safety of Shane in mind.  We also had some odd things happen to us on our ride:

1.  Shane lost a shoe. 
2.  The Trailer Got a Flat Tire.
3.  We had to walk our bikes through a Fair that was being held in Vienna.
4.  We had to wait for a parade to be over to cross the street
5.  Finally saw Horses on the trail!!
6.  A pedestrian yelled at me and Dennis and him almost got into a fight.  

Also, worth noting, we saw 2 Crossfits right off the Trail:

Catoctin Crossfit & Crossfit Vienna - SO COOL!


We still have plenty of time to train for our 100 mile bike ride in September, and there was no real reason to keep going just to make it to 50 miles.  I hope everybody had an enjoyable long weekend and got some good quality time outside!! 

Also,if you'd like to sponsor me on my 1st ever 100 Mile Bike ride, please click on this link, DONATE HERE ,to make a contribution.  The money goes towards a great cause, MS Research, and is greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment