Monday, March 7, 2016

Crossfit Games 2016 WOD 16.2

With 16.1 behind us I was eager to hear what the next WOD was going to be.  I thought it would be funny to record Dennis and I's reaction and the 15 minute video I ended up with is pretty amusing.  

I will spare you the 15 minutes of hilarity and give you the last few minutes of when they actually announce the workout:




You can see my excitment pretty much go out the window when he mentions that the 25 T2B, 50 DUBs, and 15 Squat Cleans have be done in 4 minutes in order to make it to the next part of the work out.  Once again I had half of the equation.  I could DO all the required movements, just not at the speed they were asking. 

Towards the end of the video Dennis says he thinks I could get out of the first round, but I am more realistic than him!  


Fast Forward to Saturday and the moment of truth.  I was as ready as I was ever going to be.  3...2...1...GO!

Toes to bar weren't a huge problem for me.  I could GET them, I just couldn't get them fast.  I did as many as I could before I had to break them down into smaller sets.  Not a huge issue, but time was ticking down fast. 

Onto the jump rope.  My double unders are not terrible, as long as I didn't get tripped up.  I predicted it would take me 3 "sets" to get to 50, (2 if I was lucky) and with about 1 minute and 20 seconds left it was me and the bar. 




An 85lb Squat Clean was completely manageable but for whatever reason I decided to do singles and when 4 minutes hit, I had gotten 6.  At first I felt like that was a crappy score and I was kinda pissed about it.  But as per usual it takes me a while to warm up to things and I decided that it was an ok score.  

I knew that I would be opening Hydraulic the next day for others to do the WOD (and for some to redo it) so I figured that I'd give it a whirl if time permitted, but without too much expectation of making it through the 15 cleans.  I really WANTED to, but if I didn't shave off at least 30 seconds of my time, it wasn't going to happen. 

Let's not forget the year or cardio is still going on and I have certain mileage requirements each week to run.  Sunday's are typically my long runs and this day was no exception.  I went to Hydraulic an hour and a half earlier than I needed to be there to bang out my run when I learned something.  The fitness center doesn't open until 1pm and I needed to open Hydraulic at 1:30pm, not enough time for me to wait for the gym to open to run 4.5 miles.  So as much as I DIDN'T want to, I started to run outside. 

Luckily there is a new running/biking path along 50 that I decided to test out and let me say it's pretty nice!  I'd like to eventually start biking to CrossFit but that will have to wait until the weather is a tad warmer and I am a bit more in shape.

So anyways, instead of giving myself allllllllllllllll the excuses not to run, I just bucked up and ran.  And ran, and ran!  I ran the whole 4.5 miles (except when I had to wait for the crosswalk light to turn) and I ran it in slightly under 45 minutes.  What a HUGE confidence booster for my upcoming 5 mile race in CT!  

With the running endorphins already setting I had about 30 minutes before people were going to show up so I did want any other normal CrossFitter would do.  I did a 20 minute ROMWOD (I will explain want this is later, but it's basically Yoga for CrossFit) and it was so nice to be doing these stretches alone in the empty gym.

At about 1:30, people started trickling in and it was time to start!  I always get so nervous/excited and when it was my turn to go, I knew what I had to do.  I had to improve my score by 1 at the least.  

Off I went!  Toes to Bar no problem, Double Unders as expected.  Now for the cleans.  1st go around I did singles, but this time I did 2 before I took a rest and That made all the difference.  When time expired I got through 9 (a three rep improvement) and I must have been on endorphin overload because I was bouncing off the walls with happiness!  

I wanted more reps, but I wasn't sad about it at all.  I immediately thought that I would give it another try Monday morning and was dead set on doing so.

When it was my turn to go this morning, my mine was already made up.  My forearms were toast and this was not going to go well.  I did 10 Toes to Bar and called it.  I was already doing singles after about 5 in a row and that's good for nobody. 

So, I have to be grateful that I was actually ABLE to participate in all the movements of 16.2, and hopefully next year my T2Bs are faster than this year, something I will add to the list of things to work on.  So with 2 WODs behind and 3 WODS ahead, I am back to being eager and excited to see what 16.3 ends up being! 

No comments:

Post a Comment