Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Expectation Square

Even though today was a scheduled rest day (from running) I did go for a shorter walk with Shane and explored more of the neighborhood.  I kept taking notice of all the ridiculously named streets, and decided that Expectation Square was going to be my next blog topic.  



 An expectation, which is a belief that is centered on the future, may or may not be realistic.

Expectations are sort of a moving target and should adjust as things change.  When I first joined Crossfit, I had zero expectations for myself.  I was overweight, out of shape, and never lifted a weight in my life.  After a year or so of training, my expectations for myself had changed, and I held myself to a higher level.  

After my pregnancy, they changed again.  

I think the key to expectations is to keep them as realistic as possible.  I don't expect to ever win the Crossfit Games title of Fittest Woman on Earth, but with hard work, I can expect to look and feel the way I want, and isn't that the name of the game?

Yesterday's running requirement was to run 1.50 miles.  Since it had been months since I did any type of running, and I suck at running, I expected that I would have to stop to walk during it.  I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to walk, at all.  My run time wasn't fast by any means, but I exceeded my expectations by not walking.  

My advise to you?  Keep your expectations as realistic as possible and don't feel bad for defeated if you  have to adjust them in either direction. 

Happy Rest Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment