Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Myrtle Beach Vacation

I can't even tell you the last time I've been on a full week's vacation.  Typically Dennis and I do long weekend trips or things like that, but this year we (Dennis) decided to take charge and arrange a full family vacation in Myrtle Beach.  With 4 other families.  

I wasn't completely sold on this idea, and since that was the case, I didn't want to have anything to do with the planning (as far as selecting a house, location, etc) this was all up to the guys with little faith that it would actually happen, but low and behold, our Google Calendar was marked.  Bravo boys!

Since most of the group was heading down from PA they came down to VA the night before to split up the trip.  Then on Saturday morning the 3 families began our journey.  With a few minor hiccups in the beginning (of course I forgot to grab Shane's ear Medicine from the fridge and remembered 5 minutes into the trip) we were off!

Car rides for me are an excellent time to catch up on my sleep.  I have become an expert on sleeping in the passenger seat, and timing my naps correctly with the children.  This was no exception.  After about an hour or so, Shane, Seth, and myself were out cold.  About 3 hours into the ride, we got a call from Dave's car and something was wrong with their car.  So we all exited to evaluate the problem.  The problem was fixable, but expensive and was going to take a while to fix which wouldn't normally be an issue, but we had 8 kids between the 3 cars to entertain while this all went on. 

After going on a lunch run and having a picnic outside, the kids started getting a bit antsy, so I decided to run a CrossFit Kids class!  It was a good way for me to be a little active on this day of travel and hopefully burn off some of the energy of the kids while we were stuck.  




Finally we were back on the road and got to the condo.  The other 2 families had already arrived, and we all took the night to settle in.  

Day 1 was nice (aka Father's Day).  We spent the day at the beach and then went out to dinner at a nice-ish restaurant to celebrate.  

Happy Father's Day Dennis!

The next morning or Day 2, the guys had planned a golf day - so while they were off doing that, I decided to take a walk to one of those obnoxious beach stores where Shane could pick out a new toy for the beach.  On the way home we found a small playground and since we weren't in a huge rush, we stopped for a bit to play. 


 


The rest of that day was spent at the beach where we found an awesome pair of aviators in the ocean that I rocked for the remainder of the vacation. 



That night we headed off to a smaller boardwalk for some ice cream and fireworks.  The kids enjoyed the ice cream, the fireworks, not so much. 


The next morning we decided to venture out to a local Crossfit Box, Breakers CrossFit.  The box was close enough to our condo that we could ride our bikes to the box.  


The work out was a lot of fun, but that is basically all I really have to say about the class, the coaching, and the overall experience at this affiliate.  

After we got back we decided to take a leisure bike ride with the kids and Dennis' sister around.  We didn't know exactly where to go, but we ended up on the East Coast Greenway path which goes from Maine to Florida!  The ride was getting HOT so we headed back in after about an hour. 




The next to do CrossFit Box was Crossfit North Myrtle Beach.  We had to drive a little ways to get there, but it was worth it.  Funny enough most everybody in the class was a drop in, with only 1 or 2 regular members there.  The coach, the instruction, and the class was really great.  Dennis and I really enjoyed dropping in. 



With not another good CF box option to visit the next and lats day of fitness was an extremely long and hot bike ride with the entire family.  We biked about 14 miles with both kids in tow and it was just too hot to do anymore.  




Overall I was happy to get 3 solid days of fitness in while on vacation (let's be honest getting ANY fitness in would have been a win).  I just feel so much better/am able to relax more when I am exhausted and have spent some energy.  

The rest of the trip was filled with ice cream, boardwalk, rides for Shane, a night out with Colleen and lots and lots of the beach time.  It was a new type of style of vacationing for me and it took me a while to adjust, and when I finally was adjusted it was time to leave.

Happy to add 2 more boxes to my list and a New State to my tally.  Thank you Myrtle Beach for the great weather and good times!




No comments:

Post a Comment