Sunday, November 29, 2015

Sabeth's First WOD and Our Winery Tour

When I first started CrossFit, I'll admit, I would try my hardest to get any and all my friends to join.  I'd beg and plead to have them "just try it" to see what they think, but with little success.  As time went on, I realized how annoying I must have been and simply kept the option open that if any of my friends wanted to try CrossFit, I'd be happy to go with them and answer any questions they might have.  

When I travel I will typically scope out the area to see if there is a local CrossFit box that I could drop in at to get in a workout.  When my friends visit me, I tell them if I'm going to a class or not and if I am, they are welcomed to come with, usually with the same response.  No.

However, Sabeth's visit was different!  After years of listening to me speak the CrossFit language, Sabeth was ready to come to a class with me!  I was so excited.  And to make things even better, the scheduled WOD was a partner WOD.  This was perfect because Sabeth and I could work together as a team and help each other through it.  

She arrived here on Friday night and I told her what the WOD was:

200 OH Lunges 45/25
**Partner Deadlift Holds Kettlebell
200 Abmat Sit-ups
**Partner Holds Wall Ball In Squat Position
2,000m Row
**Partner Holds Plank
Every Two Minutes do 3 Burpees

Naturally she was a little nervous about the workout, but I assured her that she would be fine.  The nice thing about Saturday WODs is that they typically are body weight movements and rarely require bars.  

Before we started we devised a game plan for each movement (which typically goes out of the window within the first few minutes) but it helped us mentally prepare.  The worst part of this was going to be the 3 Burpee interruption.


 Then it was go time.  We were as ready as we were going to be! 3...2...1...Go!


This was a true chipper.  We chipped away what we could during the 2 minutes and then we gave ourselves enough time (debatably too much time) to do the 3 Burpees and then tag team in or out of the movement.  We finally got to the row about 30 minutes into it when we were told there was a 35 minute time cap.  With 2,000 meters owed, it was pretty clear we weren't going to finish.  But we came pretty damn close!

I couldn't have been more proud of Sabeth!!  She really gave it her all and didn't give up.  She said she enjoyed the work out and hopefully this taught her that she is capable of much more than she gives herself credit for!

Immediately following the work out we watched my old son run around and play football.


Once we got back home from this mornings activities we took a little  bit of breather and then started our Wine Tour de Virginia. 



Our first stop was at Quatro Gumba where we did a tasting and then stayed for an additional glass and some cheese.  I ordered my favorite, the wine slushie!


The next winery we went to was closed, so we hopped over to Cana where the wine and tasting room was less than desirable.  After our tasting with the most awkward woman, we got a quick picture and headed out to the next stop, 50 West. 


This winery had a much better atmosphere, but we didn't love any of the wines enough to get a glass, the tasting was enough and we headed out to our final stop of the evening.  Greenhill Winery.

We snuck in just in time to get a tasting and it was well worth it.  I think this was my favorite of the the wineries we visited, and hope to return at some point.  Since we were a bit late arriving they were practicially pushing us out the door, until another party was causing delays and they offered us another drink. LOL.  


I have an awesome weekend with Sabeth full of fitness, wineries, and food!

No comments:

Post a Comment