Monday, November 2, 2015

Karen - Reborn

For some odd reason, I've been really struggling trying to write the recap blog about my first ever Crossfit Competition, Festivus.  As of yesterday I had two drafts started but still no real desire to share with the world my experience. 

Then last night before I fell asleep, it hit me.  I needed to think bigger.  Festivus wasn't just my 1st Crossfit Competition, I was setting the bar for what now feels like my Crossfit rebirth.  

I've made some changes in my life since Seth was born, and I feel like I'm on the verge of something major.  The first change was my job.  I had been with the same company for 2 years and I found myself stuck.  I wasn't challenged, I wasn't valued, I wasn't growing professionally, and most of all, I wasn't happy. 

So I finally did something that I now wish I had done a year ago.  I accepted a new position at a different company, and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Yes, I had to give up my sweet commute, and I had to give up seeing my co-workers on a daily basis that I liked, but now, I like the my work better, I'm good at what I'm doing, and I've already been recognized and rewarded for my talent.  All with only being working here for less than 3 months.  I can only describe it as breaking up with an "ok" boyfriend and then meeting the man of my dreams. 

Now that I improved my professional life, my eyes were opened to the fact that if wasn't happy about something, change IS an option.  

The funny thing about the next change that I made, is mostly this blog's fault.  I started feeling stuck in my Crossfit career.  I, since post pregnancy,  had been consistently going to Crossfit but I wasn't seeing the results I wanted.  I wasn't getting stronger, I wasn't getting thinner, and I didn't feel like I was being challenged in the way I had been challenged years past.  

I started to pull up old blog posts from when I was at 610 (also referred to when I was in the best shape of my life) to compare then to now and my jaw practically dropped.  The entries that I recorded my WODs and my times made me feel like a complete wimp.  Day after day I was putting in 45 - 50 minutes of work.  Strength and Metcons both in 1 day, Long Hero WODs weekly, and of course the Sunday Partner WOD tradition.  Long story short, I wan't getting what I needed.  To this day I both Gush Love and Curse at that same time that I had Trainer Mike and Molly years ago.  Gush Love because they taught me form, worth ethic, and had THE best programming I've ever experienced.  But I curse them because it will never be replicated and as I joked to Dennis the other day, I'll just continue to sing, "And I stillllllllllllllllllll haven't foundddddddd, what I'm looking for."  as far as Crossfit coaching and programming goes.  

So with a heavy heart, I started to research other local boxes.  My qualifiers were:

1. Location
2. Showers
3. Price
4. Programming

Crossfit Chantilly was nailing 3/4 of my qualifiers with the added bonus of great members and Dan being an amazing coach were certainly the reasons I've been a member there the longest since my move to VA. CFC's programming is fine for others, but for me, I needed and was interested in including strength during the allotted 1 hour class time, and needed to move on.  Simple as that.  

As I saw it, my option was Hammer Down, due to the "Must have Showers" qualification and then something magical happened.  Just before I signed an agreement with them, a new box was opening and Dennis and I were all over it. 

We immediately searched their website to see how exactly they ran their classes and were eager to visit the facility.  We were pleased to see that strength was a consistent part of the day, and if there was no strength, a Hero WOD would be in it's place.  Saturday classes were typically longer Metcon's done with a partner, which was simply music to my ears, showers were available and the location and price were simply perfect.  And just like that, my unicorn appeared.

So a week before Festivus, I walked into Hydraulic and was reborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment