Tuesday, August 13, 2013

There's No Place Like Home

I've been having an awesome series of weekends this summer and I wanted to talk about the last two specifically.  

Two weekends ago a few girlfriends and I decided to spend the weekend in Chicago, which is one of my favorite cities.  If you remember, Dennis and I went to Chicago for our "babymoon" aka the last time I could medically be on a plane and/or the last trip Dennis and I would take together as a 2 some, and we loved Chicago.  

During our babymoon, we were able to meet up with a few friends that we had made on various vacations, and specifically one that WE (yes I said we) inspired to join Crossfit.  Even though I was pregnant, and it was a billion degree's, our friend took us to her homebox (Windy City Crossfit) and we did a drop in.  

So when I booked my 2nd trip to Chicago, I immediately searched the affiliates page to see if there were any boxes near the hotel that would fit into my schedule.  

As luck would have it, I found myself about a mile from a new box, River North Crossfit.  I was stoked!  

So after a long day working, then traveling, and then drinking until the wee hours of the night, I walked my ass to the box to find this horrible, horrible WOD.  



And to top it off, it was a partner WOD, which I would need to be assigned since I was dropping in didn't know anybody.  I was swiftly paired up with another fellow dropper inner, a guy, and as luck would have it, was also a Crossfit Trainer.  NO PRESSURE!  

I already started to feel nervous about not performing as well as a guy, but a TRAINER guy none the less.  I immediately warned him of my sucky-ness and off we went.  As predicted, I was slower than Howard and he didn't give me near as much time to rest as I gave to him, thanks a lot!  We finished the WOD in 21 minutes and change, and I couldn't be happier with that!

But in all seriousness, he was super nice, gave me great pointers during the WOD and kept pushing me to do my best.  Thanks Howard!  
With the WOD done by 10am Saturday morning, I had the rest of the day and weekend to enjoy the lovely city of Chicago!






The OTHER weekend I wanted to specifically talk about is this past weekend. The Lehigh Valley for whatever reason, has more festivals than I could shake a stick at (that saying always cracks me up) and one of the bigger fest's is MUSIKFEST.  Basically its a festival with tents and food vendors and there are several different types of music that you can enjoy and there are some bigger acts too that require tickets.  

Well in any case, back in 2007 when Dennis and I just made it facebook official that we were dating, we went to Musikfest as one of our first dates, and it basically became a tradition for him and I to go.  This year was no different.  



So for the 18th weekend in a row, we packed our weekend bags and headed up to Allentown Friday after work.  

I, trying oh so hard to keep true to my running / training schedule thought it would be fun/nice to drop into my 2nd Home Box (610 you are/will always be #1) South Mountain Crossfit on Saturday morning to get in a WOD and to see some of my MUCH MISSED worker outers.  

I'm not gunna lie, it felt amazing to be back at SMCF.  The friendships and the sense of community there is to die for.  I got there and people were passing out T-shirts they got made for upcoming competitions they all signed up for, they were talking about BBQ's they were going to after today's WOD, and just being a bunch of awesome people.  They all welcomed Dennis, Shane and myself back with open arms and certainly stroked my ego by saying how amazing I look and how great I did on the WOD.  

I found myself being very sad of what I had left behind.  

I didn't want to waste my time being sad, so after KILLING that morning's WOD I spent my time chatting with all those that I have missed so dearly and it was just amazing.  I kept it together during my visit, but as Dennis, Shane and I pulled out of the parking lot, I lost it.  IT WAS SAD!  I didn't know how much I had been missing that part of my life until I set foot back into it for a short moment.  

I was able to pull myself together and enjoyed MUSIKFEST and especially enjoyed seeing KE$HA perform there!  I hope everybody else is having an equally amazing summer as I am and keep up the great work!     
                  




WOD:

1 Mile Run

4 Rounds:
8 HSPU
12 T2B

4 Rounds:
12 Stone to Shoulder
16 Lunges w/25lbs Weight

No comments:

Post a Comment