Sunday, September 4, 2011

19 Days to Vegas: Labor Day 5k

Before crossfit, I tried to be a runner.  I thought that if I was a runner I would have, well, a runner's body.  The problem?  I HATE RUNNING! 

I've always wanted to complete a half marathon and/or a full marathon, but the longest race I've done was the 10 Mile Broad Street run and it was quite torturous.  I know a half marathon is just a couple more miles, but I was not a happy camper at mile 10. 

Despite all those negative feelings I knew there was a Labor Day 5k this morning and I thought I would give it a shot.  I hadn't done a 5k in forever and I was curious how my Crossfit training would cross over to running.  Keeping in mind that we don't focus on distance running, but there are some WOD's with running in them.

So the morning of I was at the start line of the race.  The hill was exceptionally hilly and twice I had to take a brief break to walk. 

I got to the end and to my delight, I finished at 28:48, a new personal best. 

I was REALLY excited.  I've never finished a 5k under 30 minutes even with training.  And  the other really awesome thing was that I didn't feel SUPER exhausted during the run.  Yes I had to walk twice, but those were me recovering from two of the bigger hills.  I was so proud of myself I was almost in tears. 

And since that happend, I  now regret not signing up for the Philly Half and other races that I would have liked to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment