Monday, March 28, 2016

Crossfit Games 2016 WOD 16.5

Coming off the high from 16.4 was a pretty lengthy process.  I was so proud/happy of myself for finishing the row and attempting the HSPUs.  But I knew the honeymoon would soon be over when 16.5 was announced.  The last workout of the Crossfit Open, and there was one glaring thing missing so far:  Thrusters. 

Thrusters are like Crossfit's most infamous movements.  They are awful, just plan out awful.  

So come Thursday night, I once again was only semi interested in the announcement and there it was:


The most frightening thing about this WOD was the fact that it was "FOR TIME" rather than within a certain amount of time (no time cap).  I have never done a For Time WOD in the open so that added a slight amount of dread.  And then things pretty much just got worse from there. 

Hydraulic decided to do Friday Night Lights this week followed by an after party so I had a little less than 24 hours to figure out a game plan and mentally prepare myself.  What I did basically, was think about the damn workout all day and worry.  

Due to my aggressive running schedule, Friday I was required to run 3 miles so Adam and myself planned on meeting at H at 6am to bang that out, however he overslept and I ended up (reluctantly) running around my neighborhood alone.  I wasn't worried that the run would affect my performance later that night, the more pressing issue was this annoying cough/cold that I've been battling for what feels like forever.  

Dennis was having some of his friends down for a visit so he wasn't working and planned on doing the WOD at 9:30am.  He said he would Periscope me in so I could watch and this is pretty much something I regret doing.  Dennis and E both went at the same time, and both of their faces showed the same thing....complete misery.  E finishing in about 15 minutes and Dennis finishing in just under 19 had the freaking wheels in my head spinning in overdrive. 

It got so bad to the point that I actually made an excel chart as to how many reps per second I needed to get a certain time.  Needless to say, I was freaking out. 

After work I had to rush home, get changed, grab my prepared food for the party, grab the kids, bring them to kid care, and then there I was, watching a heat of H members doing the WOD, and oddly enough they all had the same look of death on their faces. 

I was abruptly placed into the next heat and before I knew it, the clock was counting down from 10 and I began.  

The game plan, breaking the Thrusters into 3 sets, until I got to the 6's and then pushing through, which by the way, I did beautifully.  The issue?  The burpees.  COMPLETELY under estimated those and honestly that is where I lost most of my time.  

I trucked through and when I got in my last rep, I quickly looked at the clock and saw that I was sub 20, (19:14 to be exact).  I was STOKED!  Goal set, Goal achieved!!  I did a little celebratory point and jump and was just so freaking happy it was over. 

I was super sad that Dennis wasn't there to see me, but Shawn did an excellent job judging/coaching me and keeping me in check.  

Once I was done there were a few more heats to go and once everybody that was going went, we had a little End of the Open party and it was so fun!  It was a good chance to mingle with members that I don't get to see often and funny enough I even met one for the first time that only goes to noon classes.

I was running on endorphins because I was so animated for the party!  It was quite amusing.  

So that's a wrap folks, after a couple years hiatus, I have completed another Open Season.  I am super proud of myself and everybody else that stepped out of their comfort zone and did this.  I am excited and looking forward (and dreading at the same time) next year's Open and to see what gains I make in the coming year!








No comments:

Post a Comment